Friday, January 2, 2015

First Project of the New Year! Welcom 2015!

Happy New Year Everyone! Welcome 2015! So long 2014!

Every new year I set a goal or "resolution." This year I just want to be healthier and continue to be crafty. I hope to post at least once a week some of the different projects I've been working on.

So....here goes....

My first project for 2015 is an altered cabinet. I purchased the unfinished cabinet from my local Goodwill.



I figured it would be perfect altered with Graphic 45's French Country paper collection.



I started by taking apart the cabinet by removing all the hardware. I then painted all of the wood with black acrylic paint.



Next I measured all the sides and pieces of the cabinet. The height of the cabinet is taller than the paper in the 12x12" G45 French Country collection. So for the longer sides I used a piece of the rooster and hen border to cover the seams between paper strips.


Once I had finished cutting and laying out all of the pieces of paper I wanted to use, I distressed the edges with Tim Holtz Walnut Stain ink. I used Mod Podge for furniture to adhere the paper to the painted cabinet. Using a plastic putty knife I pressed out the extra glue and any air bubbles.








I covered the doors as well. The larger square door was easier than the smaller heart doors. I used an x-acto knife to trim out the heart openings.



Once all the paper was adhered, I let it dry for about 2 hours. After which I covered every edge with the Mod Podge to seal it. I waited another 2 hours before installing the hardware to the doors.







I really like the wired piece that came with the cabinet and tacked it back to the larger square door.











Next I adhered pieces of paper to the backside of the cabinet to enclose the shelf. I did this to both the top and bottom portion of the cabinet.





Then using a cereal box I created a back to the cabinet using black cardstock.


My next step is to create altered pieces to place in the cabinet. I'm so excited to have finished this cabinet as it has been sitting in my "To Do" bin for a few months.








Thanks for stopping by and checking out my first project for the 2015 year.




#Graphic45, #G45, #French Country

No comments:

Post a Comment