Monday, May 9, 2011
How to Etch Glass
masking tape 3M 2020 Scotch Masking Tape for Production Painting, 3/4-Inch x 60-Yard, 1-Pack
Cricut Vinyl Cricut Cuttables Vinyl 2 12-Inch-by-24-Inch-Sheets, Raven (Black)
Indie Art Cricut Cartridge Cricut Solutions Cartridge, Indie Art
Cricut Transfer TapeCricut Cuttables Vinyl Transfer Tape 4 12-Inch-by-24-Inch-Sheets
Cricut Cricut 29-0001 Personal Electronic Cutting Machine
Glasses Riedel Ouverture Magnum Red Wine Glass, Set of 6 plus 2 Bonus Glasses
Etching Solution Glass Etching Cream - 22 oz
Soap and water
1. Cut design out of vinyl using your choice of cartridges. (In this video I used the skull and cross bones from the Indie Art Cartridge)
2. Using the transfer tape, transfer the vinyl that the image was cut from to the glass(es)
3. Use the masking tape to cover the area surrounding the vinyl.
4. Wearing gloves and in a well ventilated area, apply the etching solution to the cut out area of the design. Cover it well.
5. Allow the solution to stay on the glass for about 10-15 minutes.
6. Wash the etching solution of the glass using soap and water.
7. Pat glass dry using paper towels. Then remove the masking tape and vinyl.
8. Wash the entire glass again using soap and water.